Monday, May 7, 2012

Cross Stitch Kits and Goodbye Thomas Kinkade

 I love cross stitching but when it comes to finishing a project I am HORRENDOUS at it. I start one project only to go out a day or so later and start another. These pictures represent the kits I have now that are barely started, they do not include patterns I have going from books, magazines or the Internet. Its funny some of these are a couple years old maybe even a few years old and I still remember the order I got them in. The newest one is the Snow White one and I must say it is GORGEOUS!! Lots of work though. However I think I am most determined out of all of them to do this one, at least for the moment. That may be because its my newest kit though.

The first kit I ever bought was the "A Whole Lotta Latte".  My progress on that one seeing as how I have had it longest is pathetic, so pathetic I will not even post of picture of my work. Although I will admit working on black Aida is harder for me then the white or off white colors.

 The reason I started to cross stitch mainly was because I had met one of my husbands good friends wife and I thought we could do it together seeing as how she already cross stitched. Alas it didn't work out because they got cats and she gave up her craft.

After that I quit for a bit and went on to one of my many other crafts but something pulled me back to cross stitch. Of course in my mind I had to have a new fresh clean kit to work with. That led me to "Frog Pile" Apparently I love colorful projects. While the first was stunning on the black the frogs were too cute plus I believe the kit was on sale at the time. I had some progress on this one when recently I went back to it only to notice I had lost the chart for it. I contacted the company and they were nice enough to do me a one time favor and send it out to me. Once I received the chart I noticed some mistakes and that I had used the wrong color. I decided to cut a new piece of Aida and try a new technique I learned about called parking which I will explain and post links to later.

Once again after the frog kit was old I thought I needed a new kit yet again. This time I looked at ones that I thought my mother would like. She LOVES her cat so I got "Kitty Litter". Its super cute and I know my mom will love it IF I ever get it finished.

For awhile I worked on random projects that didn't come in kits. They were of various sizes and of different things. I shall post some of those in my next post. With one I was rather ambitious and would still love to finish it some day but its a MAMMOTH project.

In the middle of cross stitching again I ran into a slight bump, I ended up in the hospital for about 9 days after having emergency surgery. Oddly enough this big of a change didn't stop me from stitching. After I was coherent enough I wanted my husband to bring me some of my projects to the hospital but he refused. Good choice on his part really.

My mother came down to help me after I got out of the hospital because when your stomach has been cut open from basically under your breast bone to almost your pubic bone your mobility isn't the greatest. The first thing I remember going for  after I got home was my cross stitch.

Once I was moving about better we went and you guessed it bought some more kits. This time with the advice of my mother I got smaller ones. I got one of a little mouse holding a flower with a buzzy little bee around it, one of a hedgehog holding a balloon and a "Tree Frog Trio". The little mouse one I stitched up in just two days and gave to the surgeon that basically saved my life. The other two still aren't finished.

Browsing on SpriteStitch.com  I saw that someone was working on one of the Disney Dreams Collection kits. I had seen them at my local Hobby Lobby but never bought one. After seeing how exquisite hers was coming along I ended up picking one up when they were 30% off. I got the Snow White one at the top of the page. Even though I have just begun on it I already want the Lion King , Peter Pan and Beauty and the Beast ones. They are all so beautiful. and are all done by Thomas Kinkade. He does or rather did beautiful work. Unfortunately he passed away on May 6th, 2012. I may have just discovered what great work he does but that just makes me more determined to get more of the kits based on his work. If you cross stitch I highly recommend that you take a look at the kits based on his work they are all detailed and spectacular.








No comments:

Post a Comment